Saturday, August 22, 2009

The reason is...

This one is long winded (sorry). There was more before I sized it down. Please bare with me.

My family and some of my friends know that I can be very forward and blunt when I feel like it (and sometimes when I don't mean to be). Confrontation is not something I'm usually fishing for but it's definitely not something that I shy from. I think it's fun sharing my beliefs with people and discussing opposite views. Being the middle child and the one who pushed the limits of most authoritative figures in my life, I've been this way for awhile. So it's easy for me to stand up to others on what I have come to believe is right and good according to God's Word. What is NOT easy for me, is when friends or family that I believe have the same belief's, are hesitant if not totally reluctant to share them with others. This is something that totally and absolutely eludes my logic. What ever reason they have for their silence, I've found myself urging them to speak up. With an absolute disregard for tact and the feelings of those I pushed, I'm sorry I came off so very wrong. I'm not sorry that I did push, just very much how I went about it.

I have a facebook page. Mainly to load pictures of my family for others to see. I also think its fun to look at the pictures my family and friends have uploaded. There are many things about facebook I really don't like and have several times come close to deleting my account.

The reason I started this blog is...

A while back it was presidential election season. With the election day looming just around the corner, more and more dirt was being flung in both directions. With my rather conservative views, the extreme left wing ideas this new democrat president elect held, are a bit unnerving . Already stunned by his overwhelming "cool" factor, the "in" thing for young adults was to back this democrat elect regardless of his views.

When I logged on to facebook election day, so very many of my "friends" had dedicated their status to this soon-to-be president. Some of my friends whom I know lean to the left, didn't surprise me in the least who they were supporting. But when I found several church friends with the same status as my lefty friends, I just about fell out of my chair. With what seemed like a total disregard for everything we were taught in church, by the same pastor, using the same bible. What a slap in the face to our pastors! My heart started to race as my mind spun. What a slap in the face to GOD!!! What was I missing? I just don't understand. My adrenalin pumping at this point while pondering what I was going to do or say, or if I'd do anything at all. I think I'm going fishing..... My lure, changing my facebook status to :"How can someone who calls them self a christian, vote for (said liberal extremest)"? Ok, ok, I can hear you thinking, "who do you think you are?!?". Let me lay out what I did not say... You can't be a christian and vote for Lefty. Or... Only sinners vote for Lefty. It was a question, and I was digging hard to find some answers. Well, to no avail, not one response from someone voting for Lefty. I think I did get one response from someone who was disgusted by Lefty's abortion ideals. Did my friends not see my status? Didn't care enough to respond? Avoiding confrontation? Too ashamed to debate the issue? I don't know. Reasoning in my head, someone who is so proud of Lefty and willing to publicly promote him, must have some valid reasons. I want to know what they are. So instead of waiting for them to come to me, I went to them. I went to their facebook page and asked them, As a christian, how can you support Lefty when he openly believes certain sinful acts are ok? I, in asking them this question, unleashed a wrath upon myself I did not see coming. With out any explanation to my original question, people I had not even written to, started questioning my faith as a christian and defending the people I had questioned. So I guess questioning a fellow christian, to fill me in on the reasoning they have for supporting and backing someone who teaches ideas obviously opposite of God's teachings, makes me the righteous hypocrite, king of the zealots. After being bombarded, I tried to reword the question, adding my reasoning for even bringing this to any ones attention. Which only made things worse, because responding to their responses, I was picking on them even more.


After it had been established that I was a crazy christian that was trying to push others away from "their" faith, the closest answers to my original question are as follows. "Because I'm concerned with the economy." "I've had enough of republicans like Bush." "Because if I voted for McCain Id be voting for the war. Stopping the war is more important then stopping abortion."

With this totally backfiring in my face, my position has not changed in the matter, but I learned that I needed to work on the angle of approach. Maybe after several foiled attempts to communicate concern will help me gain my barrings.

For those of my readers who are upset with my thinking and actions, I will close with this picture.

Bob is walking down the street one night when he is approached by a man. "Hello sir, my name is Hussein and I need your help." "What can I do for you?" Replies Bob. Hussein describes to Bob that he has been trying to get a job to support his family and he has an interview the next day. Bob is a good man and would like to help Hussein but is not sure how. Hussein continues "I am going to break into that store over there and steal a suit for my interview. I need you to hold the door open while I carry out the clothing." Bob reasons out loud "All Ill be doing is holding the door, not stealing anything. Ok, I'll do it."

3 comments:

  1. I stand with you in your views and your synthesis.

    I'm proud of you Jared and proud to call you a son (In-law) I am blessed because God saw fit to bring you and Naomi together.

    I like your word picture of the man holding the door. we need to be held accountable not only for the things we do, but also for the things we allow other to do.

    Love you,

    Papar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared, I admire you for so many things- one of them is your ability to question and confront on important issues, and defend your faith. God calls us to hold each other accountable. I think a lot of Christians would rather not deal with confrontation, and so ignore this important command (I am very guilty of this myself.)

    It is in a person's nature to get defensive when questioned, but it is a good
    pain, because it really makes a person stop and THINK about why they believe what they believe.

    Thank you for your honesty, and willingness to ask the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree:)
    Great writing!
    Great reasoning!
    Glad to listen to a man out here in BlogWorld~

    ReplyDelete